Sunday, July 8, 2007

Another delayed update

It's been so long I almost forgot what has happened. But, don't you folks fret, I have not given up yet.

Since the last time I did my longest ride yet - 52 miles. Awesome you say? Yes, except for the fact that it's still 4 miles shy of the shortest day in Iowa. But hey, I did it, and I'm going to keep working at it.

I've also been going to the gym/personal trainer regularly. I've lost close to 10 pounds, but these frequent trips home always give me a chance to cheat on my diet. I figured I have to have some not-so-good stuff occasionally so that I'll actually stick to eating good stuff the vast majority of the time. So, at this point, I feel as if I've bottomed out without reaching my first goal and I've fluctuated some, but this week I'll have to be hardcore about it so I can get below that certain figure and towards the next one.

I leave in two weeks! Actually, it starts in two weeks... I leave on 7/20. I think things are working out... not sure who our driver is and still haven't heard about from housing in Rock Rapids, but oh well. It's going to work.

This week I plan on learning how to change my tire/tube in case it gets flat. I also need a first aid kit.

This past week I rode on Monday and Tuesday night. On Monday, I found my way to Hains Point, where the racers go. It's a good stretch all within East Potomac Park and they can usually get up to good speeds. Well on my way I decided I would fall and cuss in front of tourists. Go me. I unclipped my left foot from the pedal and shifted just so slightly to the right, falling right at Independence and 14th SW. I didn't have anything to clean with so it was super-bloody but really wasn't that big of a scrape, just a square inch or so below the knee. I was also bruised on my thigh which actually hurt worse.

Tuesday I rode with my friend Sean up to this bookstore on NW to hear Floyd Landis talk and get him to sign his new book. That was also an experience. Sean is a hardcore cyclist and races with a local team... we met on the metro because he had all his cycling stuff with him and I struck up conversation. Anyway, Connecticut Avenue is straight uphill over there and it was tough, but I made it. Good talk to - alot of folks don't know who Landis is and I really didn't care all that much until I heard him talk, so now I can't wait to read his book and hear in depth about why he's innocent. Sean was definitely more excited... I'm sure I'll get that way if I meet some politician.

So, from here on out I'll try to update some more... I'm planning a very long ride on both Saturday and Sunday this coming weekend (sorry church, gotta skip to ride this time). And, my goal is to use this on the trip to talk about each day and upload some pics. I'm not sure how internet access will work out there but hopefully I'll be able to do so.

Thanks for reading and staying interested.

No comments: