Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Hello from Cedar Falls

Hey folks - We're staying tonight in Cedar Falls, by far the largest town on the ride. It's also the home of UNI and if you know college sports, you know that my Appalachian State Mountaineers beat them for the 2005 1-AA National Championship... so I can't wait to wear my ASU shirt around town.

I've finally got some pictures to show!















Here's the whole group L-R: Jon Heinz, Jim DeLung, Andrew Clausen, me, Blake Anderson; Elle Schurtz and Travis Birchem joined up on Monday night to ride through Thursday.















Good Morning Rock Rapids... Blake dancing to wake up Jim on top of the RV on Day 1.















Day 1: Just outside Rock Rapids
















Ashton, a stop on Day 1.




















Jim passed out on the RV floor at the end of Day 1.















My new buddy John Myers from NY and I at "Lei Over in Laurens" on Day 2.












This is Ms. Monahans, the neighbor of Dr. Judas (Jim and them's old H.S. principal) who allowed us to shower in her home in Humboldt.















Mayberry in Eagle Grove (Day 3).















Singing "You are my Sunshine" in Alexander (Day 3)















Crossing I-35















With the ladies of KLMJ (I think)... I won a radio contest in Hampton!

Travis getting jealous of Jim rocking out on Guitar Hero 2 at the Hahn's in Cedar Falls.
I'll be honest, this day was difficult. I was actually unable to finish it, which was disappointing. I made it more than halfway into the day then I ran into Jim's parents who kindly brought me to Cedar Falls to get some rest so I can finish the week. This is a very difficult ride under the hot sun. We've already ridden over half the route and its going to get even more hilly. I'm hoping the extra rest will help out. Thanks for reading and I'll update again soon. Time for a shower and some Guitar Hero!

4 comments:

Kecia said...

Hi Zack,

We are proud of you. Keep it up! You are doing awesome!

Terry Wall said...

Hey Zack!! Your picture captions are full of the insightful comments that I remember so well from your year as "top dog" here at ASG. It's like a blog within a blog. Maybe alt-journalism is your TRUE vocation, y'think? :-) Keep the narrative... and the great photos... coming. Days can get long here... I'm loving 'em.

BettyMama said...

Wow, Zack! You look great in the pictures. I wish I was there with you meeting all the people, seeing all the little villages and towns! Take pictures of everything, even if you don't think they are anything. I want to see the storefronts, the people on bikes going down a long hill, the shady trees, the fields with only the sky, all the people you are staying with. Take some videos, too! Can't wait to see you! I am really a PROUD MAMA!
Love,
Mama

Abigail Riley said...

Zack,

It sounds like you are having one helluva time! it is soooo amazing that you are doing this. You rock!!

You look great and seem to be having tons of fun. Gimme a call when you get back into NC. I'd love to meet up with ya. Continue having an excellent ride and good luck on your last leg!!!

Peace, Abs